Our Clubs & Societies A - Z
Young Vinnies is Sydney University’s premier volunteering organisation. Joining will give you the opportunity to not just help, but also genuinely befriend some of the most disadvantaged people in our society. Getting to know these people, hearing their stories and sharing in their unique experiences is truly eye opening and one of the greatest opportunities you have available to you at Sydney University.
Our programs currently include:
- Buddies Days/Teens Days: An opportunity to engage with and supervise disadvantaged children and teens on a day trip designed to both bring joy to their lives and provide welcome relief for their overworked parents or guardians. Recent successful days include trips to Taronga Zoo, Laser Tag, Bowling and the movies.
- Refugee English Language Program (RELP): an opportunity to assist refugees with their understanding of English. Volunteers for this program will help run language classes to improve the spoken and written skills of refugees.
- Green Team: embracing your inner green thumb, volunteers will help out with some gardening at refuges and shelters to create a more welcoming and homily environment for families fleeing domestic violence, residents of aged or disability care centres among others. Green Team allows a greater sense of comfort for people living in such places.
- Night Patrol: An opportunity to meet and befriend some of Sydney’s homeless community over a biscuit and coffee. Amazing characters to be met and exceptional stories to be heard.
- Brekkie Van: Similar to Night Patrol, but we provide a hearty cooked breakfast as well. We are always looking for enthusiastic and amazing people like you to join our programs. Drop by the Facebook page or shoot us an email; we’d love to hear from you.
- Camps: A similar concept to Buddies/Teens Days, but for a weekend or a week with an emphasis on outdoor activities. Intense but exceptionally rewarding.
For more information, send us an email or jump on our Facebook page to find out what is currently happening with Sydney Uni Young Vinnies