Club : Musical Theatre Ensemble
DATE: 16 Oct 2018
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Location : The Elliot Miller Studio, The Holme Building
AGENDA OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF Sydney University Musical Theatre Ensemble
TO BE HELD AT 7.00pm on Tuesday 16th October 2018 AT Elliott Miller Studio
1. OPENING AND WELCOME
Acknowledgement of Country
2. APOLOGIES AND LEAVES OF ABSENCE
Apologies from Vice President Lachlan McKirdy (overseas)
3. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING & BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
Small show slot
- Based on open-floor discussion at the previous GM, it has been decided that the decision to create a new slot for a smaller show will be passed on to the next exec.
- In the meantime, the MUSE exec is going to trial offering a $500 sponsorship to active society members who want to produce a small show at any point throughout the year (provided they have secured a venue and have the financial means to otherwise back the production). Pitching teams must submit a one-page outline of their vision for the show (what, where, when, why, how etc.) and a production budget for the exec’s consideration.
Addition of ‘Band Manager’ position to the executive
- Following the suggestion that a band manager be added onto the MUSE executive to bridge the gap between the general society and instrumentalists (who play in show bands/orchestras), the exec proposes to assign one of the General Executives the task of creating and actively overseeing a Facebook group for musicians who sign up at O-Week, and keeping in contact with them with upcoming opportunities and events.
4. ANNUAL REPORTS
President’s Report (Miranda Middleton)
Treasurer’s Report (Sophie McGregor)
5. CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS
Extension of definition of ordinary members (under Membership: Clause 3.1)
- Current definition of ordinary members in the constitution: These are USYD Students/Staff whom are also USU voting members i.e. ACCESS Members
- Proposed definition of ordinary members in the constitution: These are USYD students, staff and alumni of up to two years (from graduation), whom are also USU voting members i.e. ACCESS members
Clarification of procedures surrounding a hung vote for executive positions (under Elections: Clause 9.8)
- The USU advises that: If after the counting of all votes and the allocation of all preferences, two candidates are tied for a position, then the choice between them must be made by drawing a name out of a hat.
- Current outline of voting procedures for election of executive positions: Voting shall be by secret ballot, and shall be either by First Past the Post (in the case of only two opposing candidates or Single Transferable Vote (in the case of three or more opposing candidates).
- Proposed addition to Clause 9.8: In the event of a hung vote, both candidates will be allowed one minute to re-pitch to the society, and the society will vote again. If the two candidates are still tied for the position, then the choice between them must be made by the toss of a coin by the Returning Officer.
Clarification of procedures surrounding a hung vote for production teams (under Productions: Clause 12.3)
- Current outline of voting procedures for election of production teams: Proposals will be voted on by the Society at a General Meeting, with preference given to Ordinary Members in the event of a hung vote. This preference shall be made adequately clear to all interested in submitting a proposal beforehand.
- Proposed amendment to voting procedures: Proposals will be voted on by the Society at a General Meeting. Voting shall be by secret ballot, and shall be either by First Past the Post (in the case of only two opposing candidates or Single Transferable Vote (in the case of three or more opposing candidates). In the event of a hung vote, both production teams will be allowed one minute to re-pitch to the society, and the society will vote again. If the two teams are still tied, then members of the executive will be taken outside by the Returning Officer for a secret ballot vote. If the two teams are still tied, the choice between them must be made by the toss of a coin by the Returning Officer.
6. ELECTION OF MAJOR PRODUCTION
- Appointment of Returning Officer
- Nominations will be taken from the floor for the Major Production in the Everest Theatre, production week from 11th March - 16th March 2018.
• Each team will have up to 10 minutes to pitch, followed by 7 minutes of question time.
• Any other pitching teams will be asked to vacate the room for the duration of another team’s pitch.
• All pitching teams will be asked to vacate the room for the duration of the vote.
• In the case of 2 or fewer teams, the vote will be carried out by an anonymous raising of hands. For 3 or more teams, the vote will be conducted via preferential ballot paper.
• If the winning team is unable to secure rights, the slot will automatically pass to the team with the next highest amount of votes in accordance to preferential voting. In the case of only 1 proposal, the elected team will be given the opportunity to select another show.
• For more than 2 pitches, the ballot papers will be kept until a team has secured rights.
7. ELECTION OF EXECUTIVES
- Appointment of Returning Officer
- Nominations will be considered and voted on for the following positions: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Social Secretaries (up to 2), Publicity Officers (up to 2), General Exec (up to 2), Major Producer (vote of confidence)
• Nominations will be taken from the floor for each of the executive positions, one position at a time, beginning with President.
• Each candidate will be given up to 2 minutes to pitch for the role, followed by up to 3 short questions from the floor.
• Candidates may stay for the duration of pitches, but will be asked to leave the room for the duration of the vote.
• For two or fewer candidates, the vote will be conducted by anonymous raising of hands. For more than two candidates, votes will be conducted by preferential secret ballot.
8. GENERAL BUSINESS
- The Drowsy Chaperone Producer Report
- Final open mic night (October 23rd, The Newsagency)
- Write a Musical in a Week (TBA)
9. DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING
Week 1, Semester 1, 2019!
10. CLOSE OF MEETING